Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Side Table

I have been on the hunt for a small side table that I can paint teal to sit next to the glider in the nursery.  It had to have a at least one drawer so I could hide snacks and supplies in it so the dogs wouldn't be able to get into it.  After searching and searching I found a super cute one at At Home....but it was all beat up, and they wanted $60 for it...it was super cheap materials so I passed on it, and kept looking.  Fast forward a few days and I saw a post on one of my Facebook swaps and there in a picture I found THE ONE!



Yes it is the totally wrong color, but the size and price was right!  Just needs a bit of TLC!  So we took the drawer out, it was broken in the back :(  But no fear, hubbs can fix it!


And I started sanding the top and sides so the new paint will stick...


But then I quickly realized that there were a lot of digs and divits that needed to be addressed before we put new paint on....Hubbs to the rescue again with the power sander!


And then the green paint started to melt and peel...yikes!!!


Again my wonderful husband came to the rescue after a short discussion about going to get a paint stripper (which he would have to do because obviously I won't be using it...)  And he asked if he could just use bondo and fill in the top....I'm game if he is!  Cause it is STINKY and I could hardly get a few pics before the stench sent me scrambling for the door...yuck!


It has to sit for a day at least before we hubbs can get it sanded down so it will be a few days before I can get the rest prepped for paint. Fortunately I bought chalk paint, so I can put this little night stand in the basement and paint it there because the paint is non toxic!


It will take two coats....


And then a coat of the wax...


Which I totally messed up because I didn't fully read the directions...whoops...a bit of heat from the blow dryer,


and a green scrubby pad helped remove quite a bit of the excess wax, but also messed up the paint underneath....


So I repainted the entire piece...


Waited several hours and added a THIN layer of wax.


And wait 24 hours...then buff...


Add a new knob to the drawer and put it in place!


Getting closer to having the nursery ready for Guppy!!  Only a few more things left on my to-do list!!!