Thursday, February 25, 2016

One last nursery project

The nursery is almost done, I just had one more project I wanted to get done before Guppy gets here. I wanted to paint a triptych of the Three Wise Monkeys; hear no evil - kikazaru (聞か猿), speak no evil - iwazaru (言わ猿) and see no evil - mizaru (見猿), as sock monkeys.  These monkeys are part of the Koshin belief to try to live a life without any evil. I started by drawing up a half a monkey...


Then I traced that onto a flat piece of tracing paper.  I knew I could draw it once, but not necessarily three times and make it look similar or the same.  And I knew I was going to be picky enough to want these three to look similar/identical.



From there I put the drawing behind the canvas and traced it in pencil, changing out the arms for each of the three.  When I bought paints for the alphabet wall I made sure I would have enough for these paintings.


 Finding something round to create the background was a bit tricky but I settled on cotton balls dipped in paint to make irregular dots.  Then I started painting in the various parts.

Hello belly!
After getting everything painted, bow ties made, and pom poms glued on, it's time to hang them above the crib.


So cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment