Monday, January 25, 2016

Hobbit Stew

I have several friends that are really good cooks, at least their pictures of food look AMAZING!  And sometimes I'm lucky enough to get a recipe! Today is one of those days!  My friend Derek has made this stew before and I'm pretty sure I drooled on my phone and begged for the recipe....yesterday he wrote it out and tagged me in the post!  So tonight we are eating Hobbit Stew!



Of course I'm not following the recipe exactly because instead of beef roast I'm subbing venison roast....other than that I'm going to try to follow it to the letter!

I started chopping and mixing as I went.  Course I didn't have a whole sweet onion, so I threw in some chopped leeks...


The tomatoes were easy....



Then to cut up the venison ball roast I was using in place of the beef roast, still a lot frozen in the middle, but it made it easier to cut vs tear...



then I started mixing everything together and quickly realized that uh-oh, my dutch oven is NO WHERE NEAR big enough to hold all of this....after contacting the recipe author I discovered that his dutch oven is a nice big 6 quart one....yeah....thanks buddy...



So I scrambled for the crock pot...it fit, barely, and I ended up NOT adding the mushrooms....


I am hoping that it will cook in time for dinner tonight....

Of course I panicked and thought there was no way this was going to cook in time so I put part of it back in the dutch oven (and added the mushrooms), then set it on the stove top to get it boiling before putting it in the oven.  The other part I put in one my freezer bags and it will be a meal for another day!


After my panic moment the stew smelled my house up, and I was drooling waiting for dinner...



It was so worth the wait!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment