Friday, December 11, 2015

Cooking enough for an army.

Maybe it's the time of year, or maybe it's just me being pregnant and knowing that in a few months I'm not going to want to do much cooking....but I have started putting together some freezer meals that can just be pulled out and cooked, or reheated.  I'm also making some to take up to a neighbor that has recently had her first child.  Pinterest is full of yummy recipes, and I am starting to re-organize my "food stuffs" board into categories like Poultry, Beef, Pork and Venison.  Today I am making Slow Cooker Kalua Pig which when done will give me several servings to eat, and to freeze!  This recipe is also from the Paleo diet if that matters to anyone.

After reading some of the reviews and comments I have decided to make the following changes to the recipe....I am using my pink sea salt, adding liquid smoke, and extra bacon.  And because of time restrictions (I am NOT getting up at 2am to start this) I am going to cook it in my cast iron dutch oven, in the oven, so it will take 4 hours instead of 16.  You can also cut the roast in half so it could be cooked in a slow cooker in a shorter time.

I went shopping with my mom today, so we were running a bit behind but I still had plenty of time to get it started for dinner tonight! (I hope)

I set the oven to 325, as this is best done low and slow.  I lined the bottom of my cast iron dutch oven with three pieces of bacon cut in half.  As I said earlier, I'm putting extra bacon in this!



After that I cut several holes in the meat



And shoved whole garlic cloves in them!



Then I cut some small holes in the fat side and ground some Pink sea salt over it, followed by sprinkles of liquid smoke



Add three more strips of bacon and we are ready to cover and toss it in the oven



It needs to cook for at least 4 hours, maybe a bit less because it wasn't quite a 5 lb roast...but there was a bone in it....at about 3 and a half hour into cooking I chopped up some red cabbage and tossed it in the pot to let it steam and cook the the remaining half hour.



The meat was almost done and I snuck a taste....YUMMO And the smell...oh my goodness!!!  Preggo is happy!!! I took the meat out of the pot to shred, and left the red cabbage in the cooking liquid.  I could totally just sit there and drink that liquid, no joke.  I had to quickly put the lid back on and wrap up the meat otherwise I would just just sat there with a fork and filled up...not even kidding.



I also made some fresh potato chips.



I served this delicious pork on french bread as a kind of sandwich.


Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment