Saturday, November 28, 2015

Never too much turkey!

This time of year everyone overeats and gets waaayyy too much turkey.  I however LOVE turkey, but never think to make it any other time of the year.  And we usually end up at one or both of our parents houses so there aren't many leftovers to bring home.  So this year after my husband mentioned how much he LOVES dressing, and my chicken dressing casserole I decided to get a small turkey and make a meal for the two of us, so we get a lot of leftovers!!!  Well, a lot of turkey leftovers anyway!

Our menu is:
Turkey
Dressing
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Deviled Eggs
Pumpkin Pie (my MIL made pie for us)


I am trying something new with my turkey this year, after seeing lots of tips and tricks on Pinterest I am going to start the bird at 475° cook for half an hour, then lower to 350° and finish cooking it.  My bird is 10 pounds so total cooking time is 2-3/4 to 3 hours.  Add an hour for it to come to room temperature and for a dinner at 6:30 I need to start around 2 pm.   Hopefully that will make for an un-stressful day!

To begin my day (bright and early) I hauled out the Christmas decorations, turned on Pandora and my holiday tunes and got started decorating!  I do love this time of year, especially this year, it is quite a thrill knowing that next year Baby Fish will be here to enjoy the holidays with us!!!


After decorating inside, I took a break to watch some Home Alone!

© 1990 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation

My timer went off at 2 pm and it was time to get the turkey out of the fridge and dried off.

After three days in the fridge it was still partially frozen....really?!?
I also removed the neck and giblets and put them in a pot to boil for extra gravy, the dogs will get the giblets...



At 2:40 I started preheating the oven, I wasn't sure exactly how long it would take, but I figured 20 minutes was good....it took 12-ish minutes.


Then at 3 pm it was time to butter up the turkey and slide it in the oven for 30 minutes.  Then lower the temp to 350° and cook for another 2.5 hours or so.  More like another three hours, cause when I was setting the timer I went way over, so I hit cancel...which turned the oven off....so I had to reheat to 475° and re-start the timer half an hour later....it will get done eventually!  LOL



While the turkey is cooking I boiled the eggs, peeled them and did my "thing" to make them my Devilish Eggs. Which is sugar, apple cider vinegar, horseradish and mayo, topped with smoked paprika...these are best when they get to sit and meld for a while...



Then the only things left to do are the mashed potatoes, which consists of two potatoes peeled and boiled then mashed...there are only the two of us after all!



And the yummy cheater dressing, we LOVE Stove Top stuffing here....



Can't forget the green beans.



Turkey is done and it is time to make the gravy with the drippings and the stock from boiling the neck!



The turkey has to sit and rest for a minimum of 15 minutes...and you can carve it!



I can't wait to "play" with my leftovers...but that is a blog for another day!


ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment