Saturday, August 4, 2012

"Ice cream is happiness condensed"

Jessi Lane Adams had it right with that quote.  There is nothing like Ice Cream on a hot day.  My DH and I were fortunate enough to receive a ice cream maker at our wedding shower.  And now I'm going to put it to use and actually make some!  It was his idea, he asked about it on our way to the grocery store today so I looked up a basic recipe for ice cream, and added the ingredients to my list.  So tonight I am going to make Caramel Macchiato Ice Cream, which also happens to be one of my favorite beverages!  It is definitely an ice cream for coffee lovers!


This recipe is nice and simple, no tempering or heating so you can get to freezing it sooner!  As always, gather all your ingredients...


Whisk the milk, coffee, sugar and salt together till the sugar is dissolved,  then add the heavy cream and stir.  Cover and put in the fridge for 2 hours...simple!


Once the 2 hours is up time to put the mixture in the ice cream machine.  Just follow the directions for your maker and let'er rip!


While the ice cream is freezing it is time to make the caramel sauce...I'm microwaving it because it is waaayyy to hot to fire up the oven...which is the other reason the ice cream recipe works so well...no heating!


Pay close attention to the size of the bowl, timing and stirring directions, you don't want burnt caramel. And using too small of a bowl will result in the caramel boiling over...I speak from experience. Now I must caution that this process takes a lot of muscle, and patience, lots and lots of patience.
Done "cooking" time to whip

Ohhhh, that doesn't look good...

Ah wait, there it is...nice and smooth

Aaaaannnnd...because it started to seize up, I added splashes of the leftover heavy whipping cream to it until the consistency was back where it needed to be!

After the caramel is done, and the ice cream is done (waaaaayyyy longer than 20 minutes) layer and swirl the caramel into the ice cream and put in the freezer for at least 2 hours, overnight is better!
Don't forget to lick the caramel bowl!  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Not in coffee Ice Cream...I do have a recipe for bacon ice cream tho..I will make it soon

    ReplyDelete