Sunday, December 11, 2011

Simplicity works for me


Tonight seemed to call for simplicity.  AKA, “It’s a lazy Sunday and I just don’t want to cook.”  After spending most of my day doing laundry, searching for the recipe I bought sesame oil and rice wine vinegar for (still can’t figure out WHY I bought it) and teaching my boyfriend the finer qualities of Pinterest…

                Him - Can you make that?
                Me – Sure
                Him – Really?
                Me – Yeah, you want me to make the rolls fresh?
                Him – Uh, sure?

So I know what I’ll be making next weekend! (Ham and cheese sliders) Why next weekend?  Easy, because that’s when he gets fresh cooked food. Otherwise it’s reheated at work…oh the “joys” of second shift.

But I digress.  The offering tonight is Beef Tips Over Noodles. This recipe came from The Betty Crocker Cookbook (1976), the orange cover with the pie layout of pictures on the front.  I was fortunate to find one of these beauties at a flea market for $12. 

The steps are simple, brown the meat

Add the beef stock, wine, soy, garlic and onion, bring to a boil and let it cook for an hour.

When the cooking time is complete, start the noodles!  Once those are done add the cornstarch/water mixture to the beef to thicken, and then serve over the noodles!
 P.S. this beef mixture also works really well for beef stew just double and add chunks of potato to the mixture while cooking...can also add carrots if you want.

BEEF TIPS OVER NOODLES

2 pounds beef stew (or 1 pound beef stew and 8oz sliced mushrooms)
1 can (10 ½ oz) condensed beef consommé (or 4 beef bouillon cubes and 10 oz. water)
1/3 cup red cooking wine (or regular wine works great too)
2 tablespoons Soy sauce (I use low sodium)
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ tsp onion powder

2 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ cup water

4 cups cooked egg noodles

Melt shortening in large skillet.  Brown meat on all sides. Stir in consommé, wine, soy sauce, garlic and onion salt. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender.  Blend cornstarch and water; stir gradually into meat mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Serve over cooked noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment