Sunday, December 18, 2011

Friends and Food

There is an old saying, "Good friends are like stars. You don't always see them, but you know they are there!"  Last night one of our friends is came to dinner, and to hang out.  Of course I’m sure it helps that I’m cooking.  Long before I decided to cook more, and do more creative cooking (including this blog) I’ve been regarded among our friends to be a good cook. 

On this fun occasion I decided to make pot roast, cause it’s a classic, and perfect for the weather (currently 42° F, low tonight is 31° F) is perfect for crock pot cooking and fresh rolls.

I have been craving what my extended family call’s “Peggy Rolls”.  These have been a “must have” for holiday gatherings for as long as I can remember.  And a “must have” for any other dinner type gathering that is fancier than a standard dinner.  

This morning I got up and started the pot roast, in the crock pot of course, as we still have some Christmas shopping to do.  My recipe is simple, roast, carrots, little red potatoes, onion, Montreal Steak seasoning, beef soup base, my Spice Agent Extra Bold Smoked Salt, and the Applewood Smoke Powder.  Place carrots in the bottom of the crock pot, put roast on top of that, surround with potatoes and onions, crumble soup base with the potatoes and onions, sprinkle the rest of the seasonings over the meat and veggies, add water but don’t quite cover the beef.  Cook for 6-8 hours. EASY!

I also prepped the stuffed Mushrooms.  They were also quite simple, 3 ½ to 4 ounces Cream Cheese, bacon syrup, onion powder and garlic powder, shredded cheddar cheese, and hot smoked paprika.  

Pull out the stems,mix cream cheese bacon syrup, onion and garlic powders together until combined, fill the mushroom caps, generously sprinkle cheese over them then sprinkle the paprika over everything.  


 This can be microwaved, but be careful to not overcook, try 3 minutes at half power but watch to make sure the filling doesn’t bubble over and out of the caps.
  
After I was done we decided to do more Christmas shopping, knowing that we needed to be home around 4 so I could get the rolls made and cooked, and the rest of the dinner put together.  After braving several shopping centers and getting coffee to bolster our nerves further we headed for home, two stops later we were running behind schedule…because of this I do not have any pictures of food from this point…I was a bit frazzled.

The recipe I have for the rolls says 5 ½ cups (plus ½ more maybe) yeah, I should have used more.  I also attempted to make Hollandaise sauce, from scratch, epic fail, and something to put on my “will conquer” list.  Fortunately the rolls turned out, the pot roast was great, the mushrooms disappeared and there were enough leftovers for Monday’s lunch.  All in all we had a great evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment