Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Guess It's NOT going to be a white Christmas

Christmas is right around the corner.  The weather is more like fall, rain, and no snow in sight.  The last few times we have been told we were getting snow, it never happened...bummer.  Guess with just 4 days to go I should start the holiday baking.  For those that know me, I am the type of person to “schedule” everything.  I originally gave myself two days to do all of the holiday baking for both sides of the family (Thursday and Friday), however today I find myself bored, and craving something sweet!  So here I go, adding Spice Cookies to my list.  My neighbor sent some home with me, and I promptly at ALL of them (over two days) leaving none for my boyfriend…tee hee…so I’m going to make more, they were that good!

I am trying something a bit different, my posts have gotten long, not just because I love to blog, but because the recipes are long.  So I’m going to try to simply link to them via Google Documents. So here is the recipe for Spice Cookies.

To start, gather all the ingredients, cause you don’t want to forget anything! I want to mention here that I LOVE molasses, I really need to use it more often. 

These are quite simple to mix up, and they need to chill for 2-3 hours, so now that they are mixed it’s on to the next cooking adventure!

I recently made Copycat Pretzels, they didn’t last too long…very tasty…so this time I’m going to use a different recipe, and make Soft Pretzel Bites cause it’s all about the adventure!  Once again, gather all of the ingredients! The only change I made from the recipe was to substitute one cup of all-purpose flour with one cup bread flour.  These mix up almost the same as the other pretzels, so I’m not taking pictures, yet.

The Pretzels will finish rising (1 hour) before the cookies have completed 2 hours of chilling so those will get cooked first!  While I wait for the dough to double, I’m going to get out the fixings for some hot chocolate.  I’ll wait to spike it until after I’ve finished my baking for the evening, seems the safest! I use dark chocolate, and a lot of it!  That way it’s not overly sweet.  Of course you can do this with any chocolate (white, semi, milk, salted) you want, and add all sorts of “num” to it, vanilla, caramel syrup.

When it came time to roll out the pretzels and proceed with the recipe I was wishing for a second set of hands.  There is a lot to do, and do quickly.  However I now have them all rolled, cut, boiled, placed, painted and salted.  Time for baking!!!

After they are done baking you have to put it on a cooling rack and wait 5 minutes. Oh that is soooo hard…just look at them!

Now that the pretzels are done, it’s time to finish the spice cookies!!!
Thankfully the pretzels were baked on parchment paper…which means cleaning my only two cookie sheets will be easy!  I really do need more than two cookie sheets….

They get to bake...

Then again the waiting for 5 minutes, I think recipe writers are just trying to make us go crazy…
Cool fully on a wire rack and ENJOY!  I know I will!




No comments:

Post a Comment