Wednesday, July 13, 2016

I get to do a project!

Hello my readers!  I know it's been a while, but that's how it goes when you have a baby!  She's growing like crazy and changing every day!


If you have followed my blog at all over the last few years you are familiar with my pup Fergus, and his penchant for barking at EVERYTHING.  So much to the point that I've had to put in a window covering to block his view, and unfortunately mine.



I'm to the point that I really HATE the way it looks, I know hate is a strong word, but I've never gotten around to trimming the panel to fit exactly so it's sloppy looking inside and it blocks way too much light! Cue a Pinterest project...I found this cute lace window treatment using cornstarch so it's not permanent.  And seems how any window cling you can buy at a home improvement store only semi blocks the view from the outside looking in....it's worth a try!

IMG_3775
Pic from Annabel Vita

I bought the lace from a local estate sale store for a steal of a deal! And yes they do ship anywhere in the U.S.!!!


I have enough to do both front windows in my living room, and my bedroom window because...


Yup, they are going to be building houses behind us...starting immediately if the weather cooperates!  So today while my daughter was asleep I got the ingredients together to make the cornstarch paste.


I followed the directions on the post I had pinned...and when that solution stayed runny I followed their links to the original post and I made a second batch....which still didn't turn into a paste so I stuck it in the microwave for 2:00 and it started to look and feel more like the paste it needed to be....

On the left is the paste that works, the right is not working at all

While that is cooling (in the refrigerator) I decided to get started cutting the lace to fit in my windows...mom brain + lace = oops....at least this project is supposed to be forgiving and I have plenty of lace to get all of the windows covered, plus some!

I didn't measure it correctly so the piece is 3" short...oops
I started by cleaning the windows with vinegar then I applied a layer of the cornstarch paste to the window making sure to get it totally coated...Then place the lace ...And cover the top of the lace with another layer of the paste going in different directions and making sure it's coated well!  It was too messy to take pictures at each stage...


You can see where I needed to add more paste...but can you see my oops?  I also still need to trim the excess lace.  But that will wait until the paste is completely dry, and my little one takes a nap.  I also haven't decided if I want to do the top panes, or if I want to just make lace curtains for the top...



My favorite part is the privacy and you still get light through it!  Not to mention it looks soooo much better than the panel that was there before! Pinterest WIN!


1 comment: