Thursday, July 14, 2016

Cream of Whatever

One of the items I tend to stock up on is Cream of Mushroom with Garlic for cooking, and Cream of Chicken with herbs...well I needed a can and guess what?  Yup, no cans of cream of anything...well that wouldn't do because taking the wee one back out just for ONE thing just seemed crazy.  So I did some searching and found a recipe for making cream soup substitute.  And the best thing is I had everything on hand already! Of course I didn't follow the recipe exactly.  Mainly because the recipe I needed the cream soup for was a beef recipe and the original recipe called for chicken stock....so I changed it up a little. As the original recipe states, this makes the equivilant to one 10.75oz can of cream of ______.



It's my husband's birthday and he requested a chuck roast for dinner.  And after perusing SEVERAL recipes I decided to make Paula Deen's Pot Roast.  One of the ingredients is Cream of Mushroom Soup...so I started my homemade cream soup by dicing up some sliced mushrooms, then adding those to the butter.


After the mushrooms cooked a bit with the butter I added the flour


And whisked that up.


Then added beef stock


Then the milk.


This LITERALLY took 5 minutes to cook up, a bit more time because I diced up the mushrooms...but seriously, I doubt I will ever use canned cream of whatever soup again. This was just too simple to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment