Saturday, May 24, 2014

Trying something new



Every week I have several groups I attend, two knitting and crochet groups, and a quilting group.  For many years I have admired hand made quilts, never thought I could do it, but finally talked myself into joining the church quilting group.  And I think, with their help of course, I CAN make a quilt!  I just needed to find a pattern that was easy enough, with large pieces, that I loved...

Last week I was helping my neighbor pick out paint for her living room, and while we were at the store getting the paint I noticed a lady with a scrap of fabric, and they were MY colors...blue, brown, cream and green.  I had to go talk to her to find out where she got that awesome fabric.  JoAnn's of course!  On closer inspection there are little bits of metallic gold between the stripes of color. I was instantly in love with the fabric...I knew that I had to put it in my quilt.

I have been pinning quilts to my Pinterest board for over a year now.  Most of what I like are the more intricate quilts, artsy...elaborate, not beginner....at all...so I went on a search, and found one that I really did like, and it's fairly easy...if you call 13 different fabrics easy....it even needed a striped fabric...

Essential Flannel Quilt Pattern

Yes it is a baby quilt, and I do hope I need to have one of these on hand in the distant future...and there is nothing stopping me from making this, with "gender neutral" colors of course, and putting it in the closet and wait for the day that I will need this for my own little one.  This awesome quilt is a freebie that can be found at patternpile,com.  The pattern calls for flannel, but I asked, and was told that I could use cotton instead, thankfully....

Today my mom and I went to JoAnn Fabric and Craft Store.  They were having a sale on quilting fabrics, and we had a coupon for 20% off total purchase.  Made sense that we should take advantage of the sale to get started...our first task was finding the coveted striped fabric...and we did find it!!!  I did a little happy dance in the isle which got my mom laughing.  Next we started pulling fabrics that we thought would go with the stripes, matching the blues, browns and creams.  There were two fabrics that had the metallic gold accents...and of course I had to get those!!  SPARKLY!!! When we narrowed our choices to 12 fabrics we then pulled out the pattern to decide which fabric we chose would go where in the pattern.  I then decided to use the stripes in the quilt, and as the binding.  And the backing material would also be seen in the front of the quilt. 



I do love the colors and materials I chose, it is going to be a contemporary and neutral quilt.  And if need be I can always add some lace to the decor to make it a bit more feminine. Or add some more rustic things to the room to make it more masculine. Either way I will have a quilt that I made, and that makes it perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment