Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Copycat recipe: Lambert's "Throwed" Rolls

For Turkey day I was asked to prepare a leafy salad, and some rolls.  Just so happened I found the copycat recipe for Lambert’s “Throwed” Rolls.  I have never made rolls or bread by myself before.  I’ve always had my mom right there with me making sure I didn’t mess it up…well this year mom is not here so this is my first solo attempt at making something edible.

First step is to assemble the ingredients, no matter what I’m making I always gather everything in the recipe so I don’t forget something.  Yes I’ve done that before with almost disastrous results that I ate anyway.  At this point I would also remove all jewelry that will get in the way when kneading, and just leave it OFF until you are done messing with the dough, my finger got swollen after the first off and on, so I had to hold it under cold water to get it off again later...



Once the yeast was going, one of my favorite smells ever, I started mixing the milk, butter, sugar and egg using my regular beater.  After that time seemed to fly and before I knew it the timer was going off saying the yeast was ready.  I switched to the dough hook; I’m sure I could have used the dough hook the whole time but I wasn’t sure and erred on the side of caution, and extra dishes.  It took a bit more than the 3 1/2 cups to form what I thought was the correct consistency and then I dumped it out on the flowered board as suggested.  After trying to knead on that board I quickly dumped the whole mess on the counter and finished it there.



I did wash dry and start to butter my mixing bowl before I decided to use a different metal bowl instead, so that got buttered and then it was time for the kneading.  Four minutes went by quickly and I got a great arm workout!  And then it’s the waiting game, the directions don’t quite say how LONG it takes for the dough to double, so I called my mom.  Anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour…



…an hour later it’s time to butter the muffin tins, punch down the dough and get it formed!  I need to practice with this, nothing is the same size, but then it's the taste that matters right?  And now to wait another 45 minutes…



…time to heat the oven and get these bad boys baking!



And the finished product!!  Even though the recipe didn't say to, I smothered them in butter when they came out of the oven!



Lambert's Cafe Throwed Rolls
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 package dry active yeast
1/4 cup tepid water ( 105 to 110 degrees F)
1 cup warm milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg beaten ( at room temperature)
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups all-purpose flour, divided

Combine the 1 teaspoon of sugar and yeast in tepid water. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes until yeast begins to foam. Thoroughly mix milk, butter, sugar, egg and salt in large bowl.

Stir in the yeast mixture and 3 1/2 cups of the flour, adding a bit more if necessary to make a soft pliable dough. Turn dough out on floured board and let rest while you clean and butter bowl. Knead dough gently, 4 to 5 minutes, adding flour if necessary, until dough is smooth and silky.

Return to bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place until doubled in size.

Butter a 12 cup muffin tin. Punch down dough. Pinch off pieces about 1 1/2 inches in diameter (enough to fill 1/2 of muffin cup), and roll into smooth spheres. Place two such pieces in each prepared muffin cup. (It should be a tight fit). Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap for 45 minutes.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake rolls 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown. Serve as soon as they are cool enough to throw.

Makes 12 rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment