Saturday, June 1, 2013

Another way to eat bacon

Today is going to be a WONDERFUL day!  Why you ask?  Because right now there is a large cast iron dutch oven in my oven being seasoned
oooh, smoky!

And that means my blog readers...that today is the day...the day we have all been waiting for (well I know several people have been waiting for it).  I have thought about this day, and waited until I had everything I needed (the cast iron dutch oven) and today I will be making...dun dun dunnnnnn...

BACON JAM!!!!  (click here for recipe)


At 1:47pm I gathered all of my ingredients...I decided to double the recipe. And use 4oz jars, so that way I get 10 whole jars (which turned into 11, plus another spoonful...).  Especially because my partner in crime, her boss, my bestie, and my local cousin all want some...


Start with a non stick skillet and fry the bacon up in small batches then set aside...


And watch out for the hazards of cooking over 4 lbs of bacon...the trip hazards...otherwise known as my dogs.


After all 4 pounds of bacon have been fried (I finished a little after 3:30 pm), throw in the onion (I used Vidalia because that's my favorite onion) and the garlic and cook on medium heat until the onion is translucent, takes about 10-15 minutes.





I chose to use the metal sieve to drain the grease from the onion and garlic, and I am saving it for other cooking adventures...




Now bring out the cast iron dutch oven and put the 1 inch chunks of bacon, the onion and garlic and the rest of the ingredients (sans water) on the hot burner and simmer for 4.5 hours...stirring every 25-30 minutes (and adding 1/4 cup water if needed at that time)  I went ahead and set alarms on my phone to remind me to stir every 30 minutes, and then the final alarm at 4.5 hours to finish processing...It's going to be after 10pm before this is done and in jars...I wonder if this could be altered to be done in a crock pot...maybe next time...

Well it's FINALLY done, well done cooking!






Now time to put it bit by bit into my food processor so it can blend till semi-smooth.


Because it's done in batches I put it all into another bowl, so I can do the final tasting and add the honey...

The it's into a large collander for 20 minutes to let whatever liquid is still around drain off...











And drumroll please...into the jars...


Now to put this on breakfast biscuits, sammaches, hamburgers and anything else that bacon goes on!


Till next time!  ENJOY!

1 comment: