Friday, July 20, 2012

I want a midnight snack!

It's just after midnight here, and I'm craving something crunchy, maybe a bit salty...so I raided the fridge...not much there...

BUT...I did find 3 beautiful cucumbers and a half an onion...so it's time for Cucumber and Onion Salad.  This can be made once, and as long as you keep adding cucumbers and onion you can keep this salad going all summer long!  So I'm going to make some for snacking on tomorrow!

Gather your cucumbers and onion, I'll be adding more onion tomorrow but for now I only have a half of one.

I am a lucky owner (thanks mom and dad) of a mandolin.  Makes slicing stuff SOOOOOOO much easier.  And safer for my fingers too!

Once it's all sliced, cucumbers and onion plop them in your container (with lid).

In a large measuring cup add 1 cup white vinegar, 2 cups water, and 1/2 cup sugar stir it up!
                                                                                                          
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon pepper and a dash of salt over your cucumber and onions then pour the liquid on top!

Pop that lid on, and carefully turn it to mix it all up. You might want to do this over the sink as my container wasn't totally leak proof.


I also made a second more spicy batch for my DH using Turmeric and Crushed Red Pepper.  There was enough liquid left after I filled the first container to fill the second smaller container.


Refrigerate overnight and ENJOY!  Keep adding Cucumber and Onion as the "supply" gets eaten!

1 comment: