Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I scream, you scream, but this is dog ice cream!

As hot as it's been it is only fair that my 4-legged children get some cool treats too.  They love the pop-ice, but those really have no nutritional value.


My youngest also loves a simple block of ice to lick on when it's hot.  

Years ago I was introduced to "Frosty Paws" dog ice cream.  But at $5 for 8 small cups...it's just a bit expensive.  So I went researching, and found a homemade alternative, found on doggy loot



The basic recipe:
32 oz. plain yogurt1 mashed ripe banana2 tablespoons peanut butter2 tablespoons honey
Mix all of the ingredients in a blender and put in ice cube trays to freeze. Microwave for a few seconds before serving.
I don't have the banana, or rather I do, but the two bananas I have will be used tomorrow in a future post on banana bread. So my ingredient list looks like this

Yogurt, peaches (will be peeled and pitted of course), peanut butter and molasses.

Instead of ice cube trays, I have some 2oz mini cups with lids perfect for smaller pooches!!

Fill those up, pop the lids on, and put them in the freezer!

The pups really enjoyed "helping" me taste and clean the drops up!  And I'm sure you noted that the ingredients, are all human food.  So you can also make these for kids, just change up the flavor combinations.  If you don't have bananas, you can also use a jar of baby food.  So you can in fact make "meat" ice cream for you pooch!

1 comment: