Sunday, January 26, 2014

What defines you?

There are a few things in life that I know to be true, God loves me, I am addicted to crochet, cooking makes me happy, I will never be “skinny”…but, I am the new beautiful. Who defines beautiful? Lately in the news there has been a lot of talk about Photoshop, and how it has destroyed the mental ideal in all people.  Men women and children are brainwashed into thinking that you are only beautiful, or should only be seen as beautiful if you are perfect.  There has also been a movement about redefining beauty, I’m gonna get on that bus and ride it till the end.

I know I am not perfect!  My hair is sometimes impossible to control, I’m in my mid 30’s and I still get zits, I squint when I smile for pictures, I (gasp) also sometimes have a double chin.  I’m not quite 5’5” and I’m closer to 150lbs than the 120lbs that is printed on my license. My body isn’t perfect.  But I am the new 
beautiful.  The things that make me different are the things that make me unique.  For years, I have felt that I wasn’t pretty, despite what my mom says.  But hey, my mom has always told me that I’m beautiful.  My husband thinks I’m beautiful, and sexy. But he’s my husband; he’d better think that I am!  What about the rest of the world?  If I went to the beach in a bikini would I be that girl, the one that gets the “why is she wearing that” look? These are the thoughts that go through my mind when I’m getting dressed every day, and why I sometimes change my outfit 5 times.  My husband thinks it’s funny.

Some Men want to see a woman with impossible curves large breasts and perfect skin, guess what guys, she doesn’t exist!  At least not like you see in glossy magazines, sure the model is real, but what you see in print has been digitally enhanced for your viewing pleasure, just like movies, “the Hollywood.”  Young girls watch shows like America’s Next Top Model (and I do to) and think I won’t be pretty/accepted/happy unless I look like them.  I stopped watching ANTM when they called a gal “plus size” who was slightly more curvy than the sticks next to her.  That is not plus sized. That is healthy.  I’m not knocking the stick thin gals, as long as they aren’t starving themselves to look like that. There are also shows out there that poke fun at people for looking less than perfect. “Fashion Police” is the worst of them; I also used to watch that show, but the nastier they got the less funny it became. Making fun of celebrities is just as bad as making fun of the girl with the pigtails in hand me down clothes.  It’s bullying plain and simple.


The antithesis to “the Hollywood” comes from recent posts seen online like Lizzie Velasquez. Or the brave teenager who talks about the harassment at her high school, her story can be seen at causewecool.tumbler.com.  Another empowering story is at Unlooker.com because weand that is EVERYONE reading this, can redefine beautiful.  If you are on Instagram, post your selfie, and don’t forget to #redefine_beautiful let’s all get together and make a statement to the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment